FOUR NEW RUSSIAN PLAYS!
Presented in London's Frontline Club - from 12 to 15 January 2016.
Produced by the Frontline Club and Theatre Royal Plymouth in association with Sputnik.
Post-show talks with theatre-makers and journalists.
Sputnik is a British theatre company dedicated to sourcing, translating and producing new Russian drama for British audiences.
There are several strands to Sputnik's work including:
- producing new Russian plays in the UK
- programming and organising the Russian Theatre Festival in London
- developing Russian playwriting through commissions and exchanges
- outreach work bringing drama to disadvantaged young people
- cultural events with Russian literature and music
Russia has a history of theatrical innovation. Russian playwrights have played a significant role in shaping modern European theatre.
Contemporary playwriting in Russia has been going through an important and innovative period since 1991 with a prolific output by predominantly young dramatists.